Friday, December 19, 2014

Christmas Lights


The best memories from my childhood are when we went to see my Aunt Katie and Uncle Billie and my cousins for Christmas.  The older I get the more I cherish these memories.  We would pack up the car and be so excited to get there.  My sister and I would ask many times, "When are we going to get there? How much longer?"

The weather in South Texas was usually mild and we could play outside with all our cousins.  Our parents made us go outside to play but we didn't argue because we liked being outside.  Video games didn't exist.  Television was for watching after dark.  While there was sunshine we played outside. 

We had several aunts and uncles who lived nearby and all of them would stop by and visit before or after Christmas.  None of us had a lot of money so we didn't all exchange gifts except with immediate family.  But we did exchange a lot of love and good times together. Some years when money wasn't tight we would give a small gift to everyone.  But the real enjoyment was being all together. 

Christmas Eve was when all the excitement happened.  All the Moms would take all the children off to look at Christmas lights.  This almost always involved a trip to downtown Corpus Christi on beautiful Ocean Drive.  While the children were occupied the Dads would play Santa and put together bikes and other large toys.  They would place them around the tree and when we arrived back from looking at lights....SANTA had come to see us.  The Dads would say we just missed him.  

So when my husband asked what I wanted for my birthday (my birthday falls in December) I asked to be driven around to look at the Christmas Lights.  It was fun!



Have Fun On This Road Of Life!

Thanks for reading!
Kathy


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment!
You have made my day!