Saturday, November 22, 2014

Fashion Over 50, Try On, Try On, Try On


TRY ON DIFFERENT STYLES:  If there is one thing I have learned on this road of life is to never dismiss a fashion trend or style without first trying it on.  You may not go with an entire head to toe look, but you might try the bottom or maybe the top.  You may not think you could wear a shoe style but if you get a toned down version of the style or a “comfort brand”, you may be able to wear it.  Don’t give up!

For example:  I thought I could not wear leggings/jeggings/skinny jeans.  I tried on so many pairs!  But I did find some Spanx leggings that I found to fit.  They are made of thick fabric and the waistband and pockets hit just the right spots.

TRY ON DIFFERENT SIZES:  Don’t let vanity get in the way and prevent you from trying on a bigger size.  It may hang better and cling less.  Remember designers use fit models and those models change each season.  That is why I have size 8’s in my closet and size 10’s in the SAME BRAND!  They both fit but one year a size 8 fits me and the next year I have to go up to a 10.  This happens in reverse too.

Using Same example:  I bought two pair of Spanx leggings last year in a size large.  But when I went to buy more this year, I had to size up.  They were also longer this year.  I can cuff them up.
 
TRY ON TWO IDENTICAL ITEMS IN THE SAME SIZE:  Believe it or not, there will be a difference.  Have you ever tried on two blouses in two different colors and one color fit totally different?  I started sewing before I was a teenager.  I was in 4H and we entered our creations every year in a community fashion show.  I think that began my fascination with clothes, fabric, and styles.  There were times I used the same pattern but chose different fabric.  I did this many times with favorite pants patterns.  I noticed that each pair would fit differently, even if the fabric was the same just in a different color.  If you try on something and it doesn’t quite fit and you love it, try another one on in the same size.  You may a find a perfect fit. 

Using Same example:  I bought three different colors of the Spanx leggings all in the same size.  But the grey pair fit me the very best.

GO WITH LOTS OF ENERGY:  Don’t go shopping when you are sick or tired.  You will not feel like trying on clothes.  I sometimes break my shopping up into segments.  For instance, I will go looking around on my lunch hour.  I will pick out items I want to come back and try on later when I have more time.  I love ordering from the internet and from the home shopping networks.  However, many times I have to send back the items because once I try it on, it is not perfect.  I do send 50% of what I order back. 

Hope this helps someone.  Don’t get stuck in a rut.  You can follow the trends if you tweak them to work with your lifestyle and body type.

HAVE FUN ON LIFE’S FASHION JOURNEY!


HAVE FUN ON THIS ROAD OF LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment!
You have made my day!